I started to try to fit things in this past week. Last weekend I had a few friends here to visit so we went out on the town Saturday night. We were supposed to go to a place called Ivy. It’s pretty swanky. Unfortunately we were to late to get the discount ($10 instead of $20) cover price. So instead we just went to a bar close to my apartment. The next day we learned that Leonardo DiCaprio had been at Ivy that night! Ugh, so I missed out on a celebrity spotting. He’s here filming the remake of The Great Gatsby. He’s actually been hanging out around my uni a lot too. I heard a few people in class talking about having seen him at Manning Bar one afternoon. Crazy stuff. He should be here for another month or so filming so maybe I’ll see him on campus. I’ll keep an eye out.
Anyway, after going out last Saturday my friends and I spent Sunday relaxing at Manly Beach. It was a gorgeous day but a little cold so we never actually went in the water. While hanging out we overheard a group of high school girls talking. They were planning to call a girl they knew just to tell her that they were all hanging out and that she wasn’t welcome. They were really mean to the girl and she ended up hanging up on them. Sometimes I can’t believe how catty girls can be. It was just shocking how mean they were. And they just laughed when it was all over. Whatever, the beach is great I’ll just have to avoid idiot girls when I’m there next time. And of course I’ll have to go again! I think I’ll take my parents there when they come.
So finally Monday rolled around and I went to class as usual. Classes this past week were very strange. A lot of my tutes are over and many of my classes announced that it was the last lecture. I’ve got a few assignments due next week but nothing due this week so I just enjoyed my free time. I probably should have started some work but who cares!
So, while I wasn’t in class I was exploring the city. On Wednesday I felt like walking so I set out from campus and ventured into the CBD (downtown). It’s quite a hike from where I live to the typical touristy places you would think of in Sydney so I set off in that direction but didn’t really plan on going that far. I ventured down George St. I had a lot of fun people watching and listening to my ipod. I made it all the way to Martin place where Occupy Sydney is happening. I hung out there for a while reading signs and listening to the string quartet that was playing (yes string quartet!). Then I headed over to Hyde Park. There seemed to be a lot more people there than usual. Then I realized that the international food festival is going on and Hyde Park was hosting the Night Noodle Markets. I didn’t eat there that night but I did end up going back the next.
Walking around the city this week had made me realize just how comfortable I am here. It’s really starting to feel like home. I understand the transit system. I don’t get lost just walking around. People even ask me for directions, which means I look like I know what I’m doing! And of course this is all happening just in time for me to get ready to go home. I’m trying to cram everything in at the last minute. I’ve got about a month left in Sydney and I’m not even spending it all here. I’ve got big travel plans. I’m going to the Gold Coast and Brisbane for a week and then I’m off to Bangkok for a long weekend, all before my first and only final on the 16th. It’s going to be a whirlwind adventure but I’ll be sure to keep you all posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment