“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

- Mark Twain

Saturday, July 30

A Day in the Life


Campus: The Great Hall

Classes started this week.  I still have no idea if any of them transfer back to Northeastern for credit so that’s stressful but I’ve decided that I don’t care.  I’m just going to take the classes I’m interested in and learn some cool stuff.  I’m taking four classes while I’m here: Atheism, Fundamentalism, and New Religions, Medical Anthropology, Indigenous Health and Communities, and Human Development. So far, so good.  They each seem interesting.  A few of them will have a TON of reading and some pretty difficult essays but I’m sure I can handle it. It will be a very strange semester school wise because I’m not used to writing mostly essays instead of taking exams.  In the U.S., at least for my major, there seem to be a lot more exams than essays.  Things are also weighted heavier here. For example the final exam in my Medical Anthropology class is worth 60% of my grade and in most classes I don’t have a single assignment worth less than 30%.  All in all though things are off to a good start. One week down, twelve more to go.

The New Law Faculty Building

I also got to play frisbee this week!  It was a lot of fun.  The Usyd frisbee players are currently trying-out for a team for the Australian University Games.  AUGs is a big tournament of a whole bunch of sports.  It takes place in September during the spring break, and it’s on the Gold Coast.  The tournament lasts 5 days and I guess it’s like a typical spring break with a party every night as well.  This past Wednesday I went to try-outs and then Thursday they had a much more laid back pickup game.  After Thursday’s game a bunch of us went out to dinner and then out dancing.  We got $9 steaks which was probably the highlight of my week!


No comments:

Post a Comment