“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

- Mark Twain

Sunday, August 14

Fireworks and Beach Ultimate


No those aren't stars, they're fireworks!

Last weekend was a lot of fun and mostly low key.  Saturday night we went to see the fireworks in Darling Harbour.  They’re a monthly event that lasts about 10 minutes.  It reminded me of Friday nights at Comerica park watching the tigers and then the fireworks show after the game.  When the show was over we walked to china town to have dinner and then stood around in the rain for a while trying to decide where to go next.  The night was still young so we ended up at Bar Century.  It’s a dive bar with really cheap drinks.  Three dollars before midnight and four dollars after for beer, wine, or liquor.  Certainly the cheapest I’ve seen.  In addition to cheap drinks on the floor that the bar was on, they also had an entirely different floor for dancing.  And even better yet, I didn’t have to get all dressed up to get in like usual.  We ended the night pretty early, which was good because I had to get up the next morning for some beach ultimate!




Bar Century Save the Planet It's the Only One With Beer

Sunday morning I got up nice and early.  I had been invited to play beach ultimate at Bondi Beach, one of the famous Sydney beaches.  There was a scrimmage going on with some of guys from the Australian beach ultimate team.  They’re headed to worlds next week and it was their last time to practice together before heading off to Italy.  It was a lot of fun and really hard work.  I’ve never played beach ultimate before so it was definitely a new experience.  May I just say that running on sand is one hell of a workout.  Good luck at worlds guys!


The rest of this week has been mostly about settling into a routine.  I no longer need to check my campus map for where my classes are or write down the room number for my tutorials.  I’m also starting to have actual assignments for classes instead of just readings, which is kind of nice because it gives me a reason to really do work.  This weekend has been a bit boring.  I haven’t been feeling well so I didn’t go out at night and the forecast said it would rain during the days so I’ve mostly been reading, sleeping, and watching tv.  Tonight was the only exception.  I group of us got together for dinner.  Two of the girls are from France and had offered to make crepes for everyone if we brought all the fillings.  We did, and it was fantastic!  Since many of us are from different countries we’re planning to maybe do a dinner each week with the theme based on the country of the host.  It should be fun.  I’m already planning for burgers!

Ah, well on to a new week and new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment