“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

- Mark Twain

Monday, August 22

Observing Oz


Vocabulary Lesson:
  • Oz - Australia
  • Macca’s – McDonald’s
  • Arvo – Afternoon
  • Brekkie – Breakfast
  • Sunnies – Sunglasses
  • Thongs – Flip flops
  • Tall Poppy Syndrome – tendency to criticize and tear down successful people
  • Uni – University
  • Bush – Outback, forrest, anywhere not in the city or town
  • G’day – Hello
  • Middy – Small glass of beer
  • Goon – Boxed wine
  • Practice – Training

These are just a few of the words I’ve learned in the past month.  I’ve actually had occasion to use most of them too.  I’m sure I sounded like a foreigner though.  Here are a few more things I’ve learned since I’ve been here.

  • I love Tim Tams! They’re these small chocolate cookies covered in chocolate and they’re addicting.  I’ve been limiting myself to one box a week.
  • Fashion here is different
    • People wear peacoats when it’s 65 degrees out
    • Leggings are an acceptable form of pants
    • No one wears sweats to class or in public unless it’s to workout. Same with sneakers
    • All of the girls wear boots with stockings and dresses all of the time!
  • Everything seems to run a little bit behind.  Not a single one of my classes ever starts on-time
  • People go out and drink a lot! There is always something going on.
    • Monday is a very popular night out
    • Friday and Saturday the cover at a club will cost you an arm and a leg because of how many people want to get in
  • The internet is expensive and slow.  It also works differently here than in the states.  Here I pay for an amount of data per month and once I’ve used it up that’s it.
  • Everything is expensive
    • Cover at Kit and Kabootle in Kings Cross: $20
    • Internet for the month: $70
    • Lunch at Macca’s: $12
    • One load of laundry: $7
    • Ticket to the movies: $15
    • Being in Australia: Priceless

Also, I've been learning about ethnocentrism in a few of my classes so check out this map.  Just think about what your world revolves around. It's clearly not the same for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment